Child Support In Wyoming

The Wyoming Department of Family services works with the Child Support Enforcement offices in order to bring child support to those youngest citizens of Wyoming and to promote responsible parenting. In order to receive child support services in Wyoming you must first fill out an application. It takes up to 4 weeks for it to be processed and you must have court orders finalizing your divorce, an acknowledgement of paternity, or legal guardianship papers.

How to Apply for Child Support in Wyoming

First, you will need to fill out this form:

Then, after you fill it out, send it in with the attached fee of $25.00. If you are on public assistance (TANF), then the fee is waived.  Send it to: 2300 Capitol Ave. Fifth Floor Hathaway Building  Cheyenne WY 82002

Child Support Money and Management

Generally speaking, the custodial parent (the parent whom the child lives with) receives money from the noncustodial parent, monthly. How much the noncustodial parent will pay is based on a number of factors. First, there is the age of the child, the number of children that need support, medical and dental insurances, combined total income per month from both parents, as well as other monies that may come into the household (bonuses, disability, workers compensation, retirement, etc..).  A guideline chart can act as a quick reference for you if you want to get an idea of what you may be expected to pay or receive. This quick calculator tool will give you a quick look:

Money is collected via the noncustodial parent (who must create an account with the state) and then the money is distributed by the Child Support Offices to the custodial parent’s bank account, or onto a debit card. You must fill out the forms indicating how you would like to have the money sent to you. In many instances, the parents wish to handle the paying of money directly and between each other, rather than using the state services. This is not recommended for many reasons. First, you will have no official record that the payment was sent or received, so in the event that enforcement is needed, you will have no established history. The considerable reach of the Child Support Program exists to help those who are not able to track down AWOL parents, parents who refused to pay support, or those who need to provide for a child whose parents are deceased. It is in everyone’s best interests to take advantage of the programs available to assist with the care and support of the child.

Adjustments to Court Orders

In the event that circumstances change for the child (they reach 18 years old or become emancipated) then the custodial parent will have to contact the state via the website and let them know that the child is no longer receiving child support and that you are okay with that. Likewise, if you are a noncustodial parent and the amount that has been ordered for you to pay suddenly becomes unreasonable and unbearable, then you can petition to meet with the judge to plead your case.