Child Support New York

Child support in New York State was established in 1975 so that children would be provided for, equally, and fairly by both parents, and that both parents would be held liable for the health and wellbeing of their offspring. Support is provided to the primary caregiver (custodial parent) by the non-custodial parent until the child reaches the age of 21. In the State of New York, a child that becomes emancipated, married, and lives independently from either parent will not receive or be eligible for child support any longer.

Child support covers more than just monthly payments to the custodial parent. It also includes health care, medical expenses and some portion of the daycare expenses. Anyone can apply for child support services, even if the parents are not legally married or even living in the same state. Child support can be applied for on the behalf of a child who is being raised by a caregiver that is not their parent, but is their appointed legal guardian, as well.

Additionally, the CSE will assist the custodial parent in tracking down noncustodial parents, even if they have left the state, and will also help to establish paternity. Paternity can be established if the noncustodial parent will simply sign a form stating that the child is theirs. However, in the case where the noncustodial parent is unwilling to sign, or has not been located, then a formal petition on behalf of the custodial parent will be filed by the CSE.

Child Support Amounts in New York

If you are currently receiving federal aid, then a portion of the money paid into the CSE for child support by the noncustodial parent, will go to the Support Collection Unit for repayment on TANF subsidies. If you are not on federal subsidies, then the CSE will enforce a child support order by automatically withholding money from the noncustodial parent’s paycheck. If the noncustodial parent is unemployed, or has voluntarily declared bankruptcy to avoid payment, their credit will be negatively impacted, as well as funds withheld from tax refunds, lottery winnings, and they may suspend driver’s licenses, or deny passports. If it goes into arrears the CSE will turn the case over to a collection agency. If the collection agency has no luck collecting money owed, then the state of New York files a petition with the family court who can order the parent into a work program, or issue a jail sentence.

For a quick look at how much money you may be asked to pay, or how much you may expect to receive, you can fill out this state specific calculator:

Contacting and Finding Your Local CSE Office

Most regional offices are open M-F from 9:00am to 4:00pm.  Follow this link for specific locations.

There is also a child support helpline that has extended hours from 8-7:00pm.

CSH: 1-888-208-4485

TTY: 1-866-875-9975