Child Support In Nebraska

Guidelines for Child Support in Nebraska

Applying for child support in Nebraska should only be initiated after a divorce decree has been finalized. As part of the Dissolution of Marriage order, child support and custody issues should be addressed. This makes the transition much easier on all the parties involved. Once custody issues have been resolved, the next step is to apply for child support. The parent whom the child will live with a majority of the time is referred to as the custodial parent (or primary caregiver), while the parent whom has secondary custody and does not have the child living with them a majority of the time, is considered the non-custodial (NC) parent. The NC is the party responsible for depositing a set amount into an account or paid directly to the Custodial parent in the state of Nebraska.

Criteria Considered When Determining Child Support Amounts in Nebraska

The Office of Child Support Enforcement has been around since 1975 and functions in conjunction with the federal government. Its sole purpose is to ensure that the family remain as self-sufficient as possible that the dissolution of a marriage impacts the lives of the children involved as least as possible. Financial and medial support are required from both parents.

Support is given to the child until they turn 19 or become emancipated. Emancipation takes place when the child leaves home to start their own life, and is self-sufficient. It may also be declared if the child marries, but is under 18, and is no longer living at home. The age of 19 may be pushed back if the child has a disability. These determinations must be made on a case by case basis.

Nebraska sets its child support amounts based on the total net income of both parents, including any and all sources of money (lottery winnings, bonuses, investments, etc..). You don’t have to include social security payments, retirement contributions, and other child support payments. Also going into the mix is the question of how many children will be receiving support and what their ages are. The NC parent is often called upon to contribute toward a health care plan of some sort on behalf of the child. If the child does not have a health care plan, the state has a managed care program that will address the child’s medical needs.

If you’d like to get a ballpark idea of what you could be paying or receiving a calculator can be accessed here:

Responsibilities of the Non-Custodial Parent

A packet with guidelines and requirements spelled out can be accessed via the governmental website:

The bottom line where the NC Parent is concerned is to provide regular and dependable child support, including any health care. Likewise, if the CSE court requests additional information, including financial verification, then the NC is required to respond quickly before penalties will be levied. While many NC parents believe that the CSE is on the side of the Custodial parent, it does not represent either parent and is merely an enforcement entity.