Child Support In Minnesota

Child Support in Minnesota

When a divorce has occurred, inevitably, if there are children involved, there will be an order for custody that will follow. The result of the custody order will be that one parent will be considered the primary caregiver (custodial parent) and one parent will be the secondary caregiver (noncustodial parent). Based on this determination, the court will then proceed to determine how much financial support will be forthcoming from both parties.

Getting Child Support in Minnesota

The state of Minnesota requires that those petitioning for child support in the state have resided in the state for at least 180 days before setting up a case. Child support can be requested by any number of parties. The most usual case is when there is a divorce, but there are other instances in which a person can apply for child support and be awarded support monies. For example, if a person is living with someone and they have a child together, then separate. The noncustodial parent is still liable for child support even if they were not married. Also, if the child is living with a grandparent or a legal guardian, then they are considered the primary caregivers and can apply for child support from both parents.

What Your County Child Support Office Can Do for You

Many do not fully understand the depth and scope of the Child Support offices. They are fully capable of assisting in paternity cases, issuing orders for support, locating parents, processing payments, and working in conjunction with other states if the noncustodial parent resides outside of Minnesota.

Applying for Child Support in Minnesota

The application can be found here:

Full child support services are the most typical services applied for in Minnesota and is what you will fill out if you are going to want to receive monies on a monthly basis from the noncustodial parent. This is the application and the eventual case number that will allow the Child Support Office to intervene on your behalf if something does not go according to plan. You simply complete the full child support (IVD) services application and return it to the county office. It will cost you 25$ to apply and the money order should be made out to: Minnesota Child Support Payment Center.

Receiving Your Child Support Money

In the state of Minnesota you can opt to have the child support money come directly out of the noncustodial parent’s paycheck every two weeks. However, in order to make that happen you will have to fill out this application: Income Withholding Non-IV-D

There is a monthly charge to maintain this service of 15$. They will take it out of the money when it is collected from your former spouse. Keep in mind that the Child Support offices are not required to notify the employer or spouse of this action. That is up to the applicant or the representative of the applicant to do.