Child Support in Arizona

Arizona Child Support Services was established in 1975 to collect child support from non-custodial parents. The program was established to make sure that children were supported by both parents and to reduce the costs of welfare to those who pay taxes. The child support program in Arizona works in conjunction with both DES food stamps, job search programs, and child care programs to make sure that children are well cared for by parents. However, it does not handle visitation or custody issues. For an overview of the Arizona Division of Child Support Services can and cannot do go to

Arizona Child Support Rules and Regulations

Child support regulations are often misunderstood. For instance, many people believe that you cannot have a private lawyer and also receive support from Arizona Child Services. You can receive the support of both but the regulation is that your attorney must keep the Arizona Department of Economic Security informed of any court actions in your file. It is also a myth to believe that the DCSS only serves those on state subsidies. Anyone may apply.

If a non-custodial parent defaults on payments, the DCSS can request that a court suspend a driver’s license until the money is paid. However, they do not have the authority to send a noncustodial parent to jail. Only an Arizona federal court has the power to do that. Only a court has the ability to determine whether or not the non-payment of support in any given situation is a crime.

It is also a mistake to believe that the DCSS can distribute support payments to a custodial parent when the State Disbursement Unit has received no payments from the non-custodial parent.

Applying for Child Support in Arizona

You are eligible to apply for Arizona child support assistance if you need help establishing paternity or fulfilling a court order or medical support order. You can apply for help if you are a custodial parent that needs money, a caretaker with custody that needs support, or a father wanting to legally establish paternity.

If you are already on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Medicaid or federally funded Foster Care you are automatically referred to the Division of Child Support Services (DCSS.) You can apply through an Interactive Voice System or request an application by email or apply directly by downloading a request of IV-D Child Support Services and mail it in. Some fees may apply once your application is opened and you can find out more about his by going to: